Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Premature Evacuation!

To those who are constantly updated with the content of this blog (a.k.a. me) I apologize for not being able to create a Ben's Daily 10 list yesterday. I was swamped at work and I still can't feel my pointer finger on my right hand. 


Anyway, I have a new list today. Every night I set my alarm... Or rather alarms... I have five, seriously. I used to only survive on one, but as with all human beings, I analyze, I learn and I adapt. I have to constantly come up with new ways for me to get up early because after awhile, I learn how to turn off the alarms so quickly that I can be back in bed five seconds after clicking that snooze button. So one alarm wont cut it. Five alarms... now thats annoying in the morning! Just the way I like it. (But even that wont work for me because I am a very, very fast learner.)




So here is my Daily 10:


10 DIFFERENT WAYS I HAVE TRIED USING TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING:


1. I started with the usual, mom alarm. She would wake me up, and I would pretend to be getting up. But the moment that she walks out of the room, I would be back in bed, being waken up about an hour later with the words "Get up! Get up! You're late! You're late!" going over and over again in my head. But after awhile that alarm "broke down" for the following reason:
Me: "Mom, can you wake me up early?"
Mom: "What time do you need to wake up?"
Me: "4am! I have to be at school by 7am."
Mom: "But you never get up when I wake you up."
 Me: Well that is why you have to wake me up 3 hours before the time I have to be where I need to be. One hour of lying in bed, another hour for getting dressed and another for travel time."


She got me an alarm clock after that.


2. Standard alarm clock. The typical alarm bell clock that rings annoyingly until you turn it off. It is so annoying that when I sleep through it, other people have to come into my room and wake me up. Thus, returning us back to number one of this list.


3. Two alarm clocks. Double the noise made, making sure that I get up! No need for my mom to come in anymore after that. But after a couple of week, I developed muscle memory and my hand would instantly find the snooze button and turn off the alarm. Thus bringing us to number 4. 


4. Two alarms placed five feet away from my bed on my computer table. This allowed me to be sure that I would wake up because I would have to get up out of bed and walk to my computer table to turn off two alarms. This lasted for about a month before I figured out how to turn it off instantly.  


5. Two alarms placed five feet away from my bed with one of them timed to go off five minutes after the first one, making it a must for me to get up again with not enough time to get comfortable again in my bed. But eventually, I would just turn off both during the first ringing.


6. This is where two more alarms get added on. So now I have four. Two which are noisy bells still timed to go off one after another, and two cell phone alarms placed right next to my head which sound like people talking, saying "SOOKIE!" and a rooster cock-a-doodling (I honestly can't remember what that is called) hahaha. The reason of choice for these alarm tones are for the following. When I hear someone whispering into my ear, it makes my mind wonder what they are talking about, making me wake up and figure out what is being said. The rooster is just to annoy me, which was funny, because the first time I used it, I thought that there was a rooster cock-a-doodling (still haven't figured out the right term) out side my window, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Then it kept getting louder and louder and the eventually I thought to myself: "Why is this rooster so consistent and perfectly timed with its spacing between his cock-a-doodling?" But of course. I got used to this and turned them off as easily as I set them.


7. Now with four alarms and my ability to adapt, I had to come up with a new way of waking myself up every morning. Still the cell phones are next to my head but the two bell alarms are placed in strategic locations throughout my room that are not easily accessible, like behind my computer monitor, underneath my bed or behind a cabinet. This one lasted me longer than any other alarm idea, because I could never really memorize the location of the alarms. Well, actually, I am truly amazing, so yea, after awhile, my brain memorized all areas of my room and I could turn it off easily.


8. This one lasted for quite awhile for that time that I was addicted to Ragnarok online. I would leave my Bot program on (and yes I know that it is frowned upon to use bots in Ragnarok, but hey, if you don't get caught, its not a crime right?) So, by leaving it on mixed in with my alarms, my mind would instantly go into thinking mood and would check on the updates of my bot. Since the bot is all programing codes and words that you need to read to interpret, this would get me up instantly...But unfortunately, I would still be late because I would put all my attention into the bot and forget about getting ready. This strategy ended when I got fed up with Ragnarok, because it takes Hella long to level up to level 99. Stupid game (which I will probably play again soon.)


9. New addiction to my alarm line up. The iPod touch. This one has an annoying alarm that you can only turn off by sliding that bar thingie. Touch screen makes it hard to figure out where the bar is so I actually have to open my eyes to turn it off. That helps. hahaha.


10. The last and newest addiction to my ways of waking up in the morning is absolute genius. I used it this morning because I had to go take pictures of an interview early this morning with my awesome officemate, Mitch. So I took all the ideas and strategies I used above and added a new way of making it harder for me to turn off the alarms easily. 


Tape! One piece of Tape! That is all I need. (Well two actually since I have two annoying bell alarms.)


I put tape of the the snooze switches making it harder for me to turn off! My mind wonders what is on the switch. When I realizes what it is, I try to figure out how to take it off. By the time I get it off, I have been standing there with my brain working long enough for me to realize that I have to get my ass moving. Genius! Pure genius! Hahaha.


So that is my daily 10 list for today. Until tomorrow, this is Ben counting to Ten. (I need to think of a catchy catch phrase.)


*End note: regarding the title of the post. I got off the bus way to early this morning that I had to walk four blocks to the location of the interview. I got confused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment